Monday, December 3, 2012

Confrontation during spiritual gathering

The Bay Area Self-Inquiry Group has been meeting for 9 months. Two months ago, I changed the name to Spiritual Heart and Inquiry, to reflect the new format
of affirmation and non-violence. That means no negating of self or others, no nihilism, no shouting or profanity. I introduce the guidelines at the beginning of each meeting. Yesterday they were put to the test.
A woman and a man, both on the journey for many years, got into a heated argument. She was almost shouting, and swearing, and he was negating her. I had energy and a knot rise in my body, in my gut and chest, which brought an intuition that "this will get worse before it gets better." I made a quick decision to force a time out. She jumped up and stormed out. He sat there and seemed to have an air that he had won. One of the other members, a psychologist, went after her to help her in whatever way he could.
So there we are, four of us remaining, and I asked them what they thought of the incident. We had a discussion, and surprising to me all of them thought it was acceptable for her to express that way. That got me to look deeper! What I came up with was to trust my body, and my heart, and that which gave me an intuitive guidance in dealing with the situation. I told them that what I did was from within, and that I will continue to follow my inner guidance. I said that if people need to express in that way, another group would be better for them. Keeping aware of my heart opening and body energetics guided me. It was a nice challenge:)
When I went upstairs to check on them, she was smiling and they were having an inspired chat. She probably won't come back.
I know there are others like me who don't want to be in that kind of energy, and those are the ones I try to support. For people who want to use adult language and confrontation during spiritual work, there are plenty of other places to go. I know because I have been to many of them, and have been confrontational myself, trying to dig out the truth with a shovel. Something has always come up to remind me, from Shantimayi and a few others, even reading, that it's futile with out a heart open to the divine.

No comments: